Monday, September 15, 2014

Hello out there!!

I have created RUMMAGE as a journal of writing experiments and an exploration of my writing life and practice.

The weekly posts for this blog are a project for a creative writing class at the University of British Columbia Okanagan, taught by Anne Fleming (2014). The content will come out of the exercises and musings, brought about by this class.

Where to start? 

First, a little bit about me: I am primarily a poet and print maker. In my work, I am exploring visual art as a medium for the expression and exploration of poetry. My work in creative writing in the last three years has lead me to regard publishing and the creation of books, as a fundamentally visual practice. 

Throughout this summer I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to self-publish Genesis, as a handmade work,  (You can see more of this book making project here) which, in turn, has lead me to think of myself as a printer, or, (although the definitions differ) a print maker. Although I am fundamentally a poet, I am very interested in how the form of the book and its content come together to create a cohesive whole. 

I am interested in what it means to live in a place and a body, I am interested in the innocence of objects and how humans make meaning of the things around them, and I am interested in how art impacts and reflects culture. 

My major project for this class will be the creation of a series of about four chapbooks of poetry and experimental fiction. I will also be creating an art series of prints that reflect these writing projects. I want to explore and experiment with different things, especially the juxtaposition of form and content. 

So, hello and welcome!





   

No comments:

Post a Comment