Wednesday, December 10, 2014

An Arcane Text - Parts Catalog

For my study of an arcane book, I went to a second-hand book store and found this.


 

                                               

I think the schematics, are beautiful and I had insane difficulty trying to bring myself to dismember it for collage purposes. In the end, I couldn't do it. Not only was it beautiful all by itself, but what would I add to it? What to juxtapose?


 
It kind of reminded my of science diagrams of the brain. All the little parts labeled. As though psychologists could really figure out what each structure does. They have spent so much time studying it and still we have very little idea of what the consciousness is.

I went out for dinner with a man a few weeks ago and he was telling me about how when he was doing a his BSc they were still performing vivisection on white rats. Cutting open their little skulls to disable portions of the brain and see how the rat behavior changed.

I guess I feel too sentimental about the old schematics to ruin them, or make them into something different anyway. They are like something out of a different time. I am sure on some farm somewhere this could actually be put to use, but it certainly seems archaic now.












No comments:

Post a Comment