Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I went to a play.

New Vintage Theatre, is currently doing a series of short plays called The New Vintage Soap Opera and in October I was lucky enough to go and see the Halloween edition.

The play was at the Black Box Theatre in downtown Kelowna. Part of the reason why I chose to see this particular play is because my roommate, Joe Welton , an actor and writer was in the cast. The play was a comedy that satirized soap opera's, with a large cast of ridiculous characters. The play was set at a hotel/bordello and involved a large cast of characters including the bordello's madam, a sinister and wealthy vintner (played by my roommate), his brother (a surfer dude), who in the play was supposed to have killed the vintners ex-wife so she couldn't come back to take his money and he would be free to marry the bordello owner for her wealth, the ex-wife, a snobby rich ditz who throws a Halloween party in this particular edition of the play serial, a journalist, who in the last episode gave birth to a random baby with a mustache, who stole the bordello owners fortune, and quite a few others.

The play was funny and partially improvised. It is always a good experience to get out and see a play. I am not sure how this is going to impact my writing, but it was a good experience all the same. I think that it is illustrative of how writing should be fun and collaborative.

No comments:

Post a Comment